Every effort has been made to provide complete and accurate information, please advise of any errors or omissions.
Local Heritage Places (some items need confirmation)
Representative (formerly Contributory) Heritage Places
Suburbs (and former suburbs) / Road name changes
Sites of Significance WIP (below)
Torrensville Keswick/Ashford Glandore/Black Forest Kurralta Park (Grassmere) Camden (Campden) /Camden Park Novar Gardens North Glenelg Netley Marleston Plympton/North Plympton Richmond/West Richmond Cowandilla Hilton Mile End/Mile End South Thebarton (Southwark) Underdale West Beach/Adelaide Airport Lockleys/Fulham/Reedbeds Brooklyn Park
Smaller theatres include: Druid’s Hall, Jervois Street, Torrensville (1920s); Camden Hall (1920s); Thebarton Open-Air Picture Show (1920s); Hilton Open-Air Picture Show corner Rowland Road and Talbot Street, Hilton (1920s); Roxy Theatre, Anzac Highway, Everard Park (1937-1961); Wallis Blueline Drive-In, West Beach (1954-1998)
Major theatres:
TORRENSVILLE STAR / PLAZA THEATRE (1916-1954) 107 Henley Beach Road, Mile End
THEBARTON STAR THEATRE (1928-1948) / THEBARTON ODEON (1948-1965) Henley Beach Road, Torrensville
‘OLD’ THEBARTON TOWN HALL (1885-) / LYRIC THEATRE (1913-1948)
THEBARTON COMMUNITY CENTRE (1950-)
JUNCTION THEATRE COMPANY (1990s) George Street and Taylors (Now South) Road, Thebarton
LOCKLEYS LYRIC (1925-1948) / WINDSOR(1948-1963, 2000-2012) / CINECENTRE (1970s)/ ODEON THEATRE (1993-2000) Henley Beach Road, Lockleys
RICHMOND THEATRE 444 South Road, Marleston
SOLDIERS MEMORIAL INSTITUTE, HILTON THEATRE Rowland Road (Burbridge Road, Sir Donald Bradman Drive) Hilton
Full document: Cinemas of West Torrens
The new West Beach subdivision bordered by the Esplanade (now Seaview Road) to the west, Military Road to the east and Renwick and Chetwynd Streets to the north and south. (Today the subdivision is in the City of Charles Sturt council area, just beyond the northern boundary of the City of West Torrens). The auction, which attracted over 1,000 spectators, took place on Saturday, 2 March 1929 at 2.30 pm – this remarkable photo, taken by R.E. Collett, shows the cars parked around the sales marquee.
The photograph was taken by Richard Ernest Collett of Netley. Collett (1887-1965) worked for most of his adult life as a photographer. At first he was employed with another man in producing lantern slides for advertising in silent picture theatres; their business was known as Collett and Monks. Collett later worked as a photographer with the Adelaide News. Several of his photographs are also in the State Library of South Australia.